Leading a Board during a Crisis
In the wake of COVID-19, leaders and board of directors are faced with some of the most difficult questions an organization may ever have to make. Here are some of the questions we currently are hearing:
- What guidance and support does our staff need from us?
- How long will our reserves last?
- Do we discontinue certain programs? When do we furlough staff?
- Can we be innovative and offer support in a different way?
- When should we start considering a merger? Or closing?
Many boards look to their ED/CEO for leadership on a month-to-month basis.
The current crisis warrants “all hands-on deck”.
Your ED/CEO needs your best ideas, your on-going support and encouragement, and as much as you are able to bring your personal resources as a board member, your employer, and your circles. Few nonprofit boards are accustomed to making really difficult decisions and there can be significant value in having a neutral party in the conversation to ensure all voices are heard and options considered while also keeping the process moving forward.
We have been working with nonprofit boards for more than 20 years. While they are all different, they are similar in their desire to serve and support their neighborhoods or communities.
Now is the time to be identifying and exploring ideas and options. Charitable Advisors can provide a positive voice in a tough time and help your board step into the issues at hand.
A typical engagement might look like the following:
- We will have an introductory triage conversation with the ED/CEO and Board chairman to learn about your organization’s pressing issue(s).
- We send out a short on-line survey to the board (and some or all staff as appropriate) to seek input and engage everyone in thinking about the situation.
- We’ll schedule one or more 60-90 minute on-line working sessions with your Executive Committee or full board.
Take the first step with no obligation – a FREE 20-minute phone consultation.
Time is of the essence for many organizations. Feel free to call or email Bryan Orander for a brief phone call about your needs at Bryan@CharitableAdvisors.com or 317-752-7153. Bryan has been president of Charitable Advisors since 2001 and is a BoardSource Certified Governance Consultant.